The first torī on the approach to the Nakatsugū was built in 1907. As the engraved on the torī indicates, it was dedicated as a war commemoration of the Russo-Japanese War.
In the Battle of Tsushima, the whole battle was witnessed from Okinoshima island, where Munakata Taisha Okitsugū is, and many bodies were washed ashore on Ōshima.
Haiden and Honden
The "haiden", worship hall, was built in 1928. When the "honden", main shrine, was built is unclear but it is presumed it was in the 17th century.
The "honden" is "Nagare-zukuri", a style of gable roof.
The "haiden" is "Kirizuma-zukuri", a style of gable roof. On the far end of the "haiden" a hengaku with Amaterasu-ōmikami's oracle written is held.
At the bottom of the stairs next to the shrine office, there is spring water called "Amanomanai", regarded as sacred water. This spring water is from Mount Mitake, and flows into the small stream, Amanogawa.
In the pledge between Amaterasu-ōmikami and Susanō-no-mikoto, when Amaterasu-ōmikami chewed Susanō-no-mikoto's sword and breathes out, the three Munakata goddesses, consisting of the three sisters Tagorihime-no-kami, Tagitsuhime-no-kami and Ichikishimahime-no-kami, gave birth from her breath. The pledge took place at Amanomanai in heaven, this spring water was named after this Amanomanai.